Convention & Trade Show Agenda
Saturday, April 13
2019 marks 100 years of history for the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association. So many people have contributed to the success of the AHLA – join us in celebrating the history of our members and our organization. Best Western Hotels and Resorts invites you to take a step back in time to where it all began – the Prohibition era – and reunite with former colleagues as we celebrate the history of the AHLA and the people of our industry..
Sunday, April 14
Take a stroll down memory lane! Come see photos and memorabilia from the history of the AHLA and Alberta's hospitality industry. Relax, reconnect, and reminisce with your fellow AHLA alumni in this cozy lounge.
Monday, April 15
Speaker: Darby Allen
During the catastrophic Alberta wildfires, fire chief Darby Allen shot to global acclaim for guiding the 88,000 residents of Fort McMurray to safety with no loss of life—the largest evacuation in Canadian history. Now, he offers guidance on how to be a stoic, quick-thinking leader in tough situations. We all face emergencies and crises—Allen shows us how to overcome them.
- Liquor & Cannabis: Are You Liable? With the recent legalization of recreational cannabis, you likely have many questions on legal responsibilities. As an insurance defense lawyer who specializes in the area of hospitality risks, Lorne Folick is ready to answer your burning questions on liquor and cannabis liability. Sponsored by Western Financial Group
- Serving Guests with Disabilities As the population ages, hotels will need to accommodate guests with a variety of different needs. This session will help you understand how to serve guests with disabilities, including appropriate language, myths and misconceptions, and much more.
- Improving Hotel Performance - Success is in the Numbers Join Emile Gourieux as he walks through best practices in using the STAR report to improve hotel performance. From rate management to marketing and budgeting decisions, he will share tips he has learned from years of using the reports as a hotel manager. Sponsored by STR
- Understanding Alberta’s New OH&S Rules Is the new Alberta Occupational Health Safety legislation leaving you feeling confused? Are you wondering what the new legislation requires? Join Erica Blewett from the Alberta Hospitality Safety Association for an overview of the new requirements around committees, representatives, and mandatory training courses. Sponsored by the Alberta Hospitality Safety Association
- Alberta’s Energy Market and Solar for Hotels With all the information out there about Alberta’s energy market, it can be a challenge to navigate. Join ENMAX for a session to help you make energy decisions with confidence. They’ll discuss recent market events and their potential impacts on energy prices, as well as how ENAMX Energy’s solar program may benefit your property. Sponsored by ENMAX Energy
- Destination Employment: A Labour Shortage Solution Newcomers to Canada want meaningful employment and to be part of their community– find out how the Destination Employment program can help your hotel tap into this new labour pool. Sponsored by Tourism HR Canada
- Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel Tour Take a unique guided tour behind the scenes at one of Alberta’s premier resort properties. This tour will focus exclusively on housekeeping and grounds maintenance. Learn what it takes to make this grand hotel run smoothly on a daily basis!
Tuesday, April 16
- 7 Secrets of Creating a Financially Engaged Leadership Team Learn David Lund’s 7 Secrets to improving your financial communication for a more engaged leadership team, more profit, and more fun.
- Alberta Accommodation Outlook A convention classic, David Ferguson will give owners and general managers a comprehensive outlook on the current and future state of Alberta’s accommodation industry. Walk away with solid market intelligence on the state of Alberta’s lodging sector, current existing economic and market conditions, and projected supply and demand.
- The Communication Styles of Introverts Vs. Extroverts Margot Ross Graham will explain why employees often fail to get along and what the best communication approach is for different personality types. This session may not solve all your communication challenges – but it will help you understand why you have them in the first place. Sponsored by Sandbar Consulting
- Session TBA
- Cannabis 101 with Dr. Ife Abiola Dr. Ife Abiola will help you understand cannabis, its effects and applications, various products and uses, and methods of consumption. We will clear the air and provide credible information about this complex plant.
- Bad For Business: How Employers Can Deal with Problem Employees Join Matt Riskin from Bennett Jones for insight on how to deal with problem employees – especially those who may not be following workplace policies. Receive tips on drafting clear and concise policies to keep your workplace as safe and healthy as possible. Sponsored by Bennett Jones
For many, work is about surviving versus thriving – it doesn’t have to be that way. What if you could apply some simple daily practices to transform your team or organization? Learn to create a better place to work, attract and retain great people, give great customer service, and exceed expectations!
Sponsored by Marriott Hotels & Resorts